- Fruit and veggie scraps. Avoid onions and citrus. Yes, they can be composted, but for your indoor compost bin it’s best to stay away.
- Coffee grounds and tea bags
- Grass clippings. Only if the grass hasn’t been treated with chemical fertilizers.
- Plain cooked rice or pasta
- Stale crackers, bread, cereal or pretzels
- Old herbs and spices
- Egg shells. Not really a green, but they can be composted
Common browns you have at home that can be composted:
- Cardboard including boxes and toilet paper rolls
- Dryer lint
- Dried leaves
- Shredded black and white newspaper
- Hair from your brush. Make sure there is no gel or hairspray in it
- Shredded bills and documents
Source: Urban Organic Gardner